Friday 23 April 2010

My new obsessions.

I caught the end of Jools Holland's show last night for the first time in a long time and discovered some new little treats I thought I'd share with you.

Melody Gardot was beyond intriguing. Absolutely my new obsession. She had style, she had mystery, she was amazing. So much so that I immediately looked her up on the internet and what I found only made me fall in love with her more. Her life story reads like that of a Hollywood movie; hit by a car that ran a red light whilst cycling in 2003, the accident completely changed her life. Gardot's injuries were so severe that she spent a year in a hosptial bed and was forced to learn to perform simple tasks such as walking and brushing her teeth again. Melody only learnt to play guitar and started writing music after her accident, which she credits with helping her heal - Gardot has spoken out many times about the benefits of music therapy and has expressed a desire to set up a music therapy programme in the future. Following the devastating accident she also took up a macrobiotic diet and became a Buddhist (she sold her apartment and gave away all of her furniture and even her cat) in a bid to help her healing process. Due to injuries to her brain, Melody has trouble with her long and short term memory and perception of time to this day. She is also hyper sensitive to light and sound, which is why she was wearing sunglasses during her performance on Jools Holland.



Jerry Dammers' Spatial A.K.A. Orchestra closed the show with an amazing reworked rendition of The Specials' classic, Ghost Town. Experimental jazz covers of my favourite songs done with Egyptian-themed props and costumes? I'm sold.



Kate Nash's triumphant return and 'Band of Horses' also tickled my fancy.

More soon.
Follow the twitter for quicker updates: http://www.twitter.com/thesculptedheel

No comments:

Post a Comment