Saturday 23 January 2010

Spring/Summer 2010 Trends: Prints!

A trend that I am really looking forward to wearing this spring is a bold print. The back of my wardrobe is full of a million different prints (pictured below) so I'm really glad the designers gave the look a bit of a fresh take this season. Personally I've always loved wearing clashing prints for a more fun, messy, punk feel. I also like juxtaposing really simple head-to-toe colour-blocking with a bold statement piece that can speak for itself. My wardrobe is largely colourless so it's always fun to mix things up every now and then with a nice bold print, simple or otherwise.


This season's shows saw a wide variety of gorgeous prints to cater for all tastes. Alexander McQueen showed wild, futuristic animal prints, but largely it was graphic prints that took centre stage. Continuing to deliver great graphics were both Peter Pilotto (one of my favourite designers, pictures below) and Matthew Williamson, with Gucci getting in on the action too.

Peter Pilotto continued to deliver amazing grown-up dresses with a twist. Aside from the lovely prints, I really love the draping and the thigh-high cuts. However when it came to graphics it was standout newcomer Holly Fulton who really impressed with her New York-inspired collection which embodied more of an edgy, cool feel with a bit of fun about it. This is really something I'd love to be wearing right now. I also love the cute little shoes!

I'm also dying to get my hands on these psychedelic stripes from Proenza Schouler.



For me though, it was florals that really stole the show. Stella McCartney showed some pretty ruffled numbers but it was the more bold prints that caught my eye, particularly these clashing looks from Dolce & Gabbana. I LOVE EVERYTHING; I love the short shorts, the socks with heels, the clashing prints, the belted waist, the masculine cut of the jacket, the simple black accessories, even the styling of the models (I'll definitely be trying my hand at messy up-dos and bright lipstick this season). I'm never usually a huge Dolce & Gabbana fan but this season they really caught my eye and for me they got it just right. This is exactly the kind of thing I hope to be wearing in Spring/Summer 2010.


Always a winner in my book; Erdem also showed some exciting florals this spring. I thought it a particularly fun touch that the wedged heels were also floral. I'm a big advocate for floral shorts and playsuits this season (I have 3) - or anything I can wear on a night out that has pockets really - so this was a look that really caught my eye too.

I'm really excited by this trend and am already thinking up outfits! It's unlikely that the high street will be able to mimic the beautiful graphic prints of the catwalk well enough for me to want to wear them so I think I'll be sticking to my florals for now for this season. I love juxtaposition in an outfit and I think florals will be a lovely feminine touch to my already fairly androgynous look (I pretty much live in my boyfriend's clothes). I'll probably mix in a pair of masculine shoes like brogues or loafers or my Comptoir des Cotonniers limited edition grey Dr.Marten's or my new brown suede Church's chelsea boots, with bare legs or sheers. I'd also add my leather waistcoat or my velvet boyfriend blazer to harden up the look and avoid it being too 'pretty'.

Playsuit, Urban Outfitters. Cardigan, Topshop. Boots, Comptoir des Cotonniers for Dr.Marten's. Sheer tights, H&M.

Sheer tee, American Apparel. Velvet blazer, Topshop. Shorts, Topshop. Boots, Church's.

More soon.
Check out the twitter for quicker updates: http://www.twitter.com/thesculptedheel



All catwalk photos from Style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment