Thursday 28 January 2010

Something a little less comfortable.

Underwear as outerwear is an ongoing trend that was rife on the catwalks this season yet again. A few designers who did it particularly well for me were; Chanel, Dior, Dolce & Gabbana, Christopher Kane, Louise Goldin, Mark Fast, Marc Jacobs, Alexander Wang and of course, Jean Paul Gaultier (some more pictures of these can be seen in my earlier blogs.) I really love this trend probably more than any other right now because I'm always dressing fairly androgynously and stealing my boyfriend's clothes so juxtaposing that with a few bits of sexy detailing here and there really saves it from looking overly masculine. I like playing with sheer fabrics too.
Mark Fast

Marc JacobsAlexander Wang

This Jean Paul Gaultier corset is actually from his Autumn/Winter 2009 couture collection but it was just too good, I had to put it in. I just love it so much, it's amazing, wish I had one. Kylie wore it because JPG designed all the costumes for her most recent tour (love the sketch!)

JPG also did Madonna's infamous cone bras for her Blonde Ambition tour back in the 90s - oddly enough these are now making a bit of a comeback amongst the braver fashion-forward.
Love this pic of Alice Dellal from the March 2009 issue of Dazed & Confused.

It's been well-documented of late that women are buying increasingly high-end underwear, if you listen to the papers apparently this is a bid to save some money from going out and instead spice up nights spent in. I just think it's because it's more fun. As Dita von Teese says, there's nothing like knowing you have something really sexy on underneath your clothes to make you feel more confident and like you have a secret. High end favourites include Agent Provocateur http://www.agentprovocateur.com/, La Perla http://www.laperla.com/, What Katie Did http://www.whatkatiedid.com/, and for something a little more feminine, Stella McCartney http://www.stellamccartney.com/int/en/lingerie/.

Agent Provocateur

I'm getting quite into the more vintage-inspired pieces like high-waisted briefs and long-line bras, there's so much more detailing and it's just pretty (see pictures of a Topshop set worn underneath a sheer tee at the end). Kate Moss recently designed a collection of underwear for Topshop that I thought was right on the mark with simple lace sets and some more adventurous sheer patterned fabrics.
Kate Moss for Topshop.

I also love this silk ruffle set with sheer panelling that I got from Urban Outfitters recently.

Kimchi Blue.

I really loved the vintage look on Jessica Stam in a spread in the May 2008 issue of British Vogue.

So many celebrities have been photographed sporting this trend over recent seasons that it's hard not to notice. I think it's particularly fun combined with this season's focus on trench coats. Am I the only one who's been wondering what Vicky B is sporting under those Burberry Prorsum draped numbers when she's catching flights everywhere to meet David?!

This dress from Henry Holland's Spring/Summer 2009 ready-to-wear collection still sticks in my mind as a standout example of underwear as outerwear and experimenting with sheer. Love M.I.A.'s style - such an amazing maternity look haha!

I'm also still a little bit in love with this Alexander Wang dress from Spring/Summer 2009, Alice Dellal wears it well. But of course, love it or hate it, lately noone's been doing underwear as outerwear like Lady Gaga (especially on the cover of the most recent US Elle Magazine, and in Gaultier in the first picture).




I recently won a twitter competition and I received 500pounds worth of Stella McCartney lingerie! At first I really thought it was a hoax so when I got it in the post I really couldn't believe it. I absolutely love love love Stella McCartney underwear because it is so delicate and feminine and detailed and gorgeous! They sent me the most lovely selection of their latest collection in beautifully wrapped parcels.


I really loved this miniature Stella McCartney chest of drawers with a pair of gorgeous sheer briefs embroidered with a tiny flower and each day of the week. I thought it was so cute!


Now I'm just trying to get up the courage to wear this trend out in public! :)

Bodysuit, Stella McCartney. Velvet blazer, skirt, shoes; all Topshop. Socks, H&M.


Underwear, Topshop. Sheer tee, American Apparel. Shorts, Topshop. Hoody, H&M menswear. Coat, Topshop. Sheer tights, H&M. Boots, Comptoir des Cotonniers for Dr.Marten's. Jewellery, Vivienne Westwood.

More soon.

All catwalk photos from Style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment