Sunday 24 January 2010

It's all in the detail.

I'm really happy to see so much focus on nail varnish this season. I'm a big believer in the fact that a put-together look is all about the little details. A good manicure is so often undervalued these days, I just love the look of a fresh manicure. It can make it look like you really made an effort even though it's such a small, easy thing to do. This November 2009 article in British Vogue got it spot on about the growing trend and how it's a more cost-effective way to make a statement - the picture really showed what bold, fun colours and patterns are becoming more readily available.


These are a few of my favourite colours for spring.


White on White, Revlon.


Pink Nude, Revlon.

Tropical Temptation, Revlon.

As you can see I'm a big fan of Revlon nail varnish as it's proven itself time and time again for me, however I am also a slow convert to Barry M 'nail paints' which offer more unusual colours in a more understated matte finish. My absolute favourite nail varnish at the moment is this beautiful shade of dark grey.

Grey, NailPaint by Barry M.

If it were up to me (and I had the time) I'd change my nail varnish every day to suit my outfit. There are just so many different options to have fun with. Although every now and then I think I might still stick to classic black. Right now I'm experimenting with different styles as opposed to just painting the whole nail one colour. I'm not sure about the, apparently popular, sticker patterns (seen above in the Vogue article picture) from Minx as they feel a bit too tacky for my taste. Instead I've been taking a cue from my grandmother and going for a more classic 1940's look, you can update it by using more unusual colours to give it a bit of a modern twist. To get this look you simply don't paint the half moon at the base of your nail, and for a more polished look I added a couple layers of a clear topcoat.

One Perfect Coral, Revlon.

I just love how something so small can make such a big impact and make a look so much more well-rounded. Unpolished, unmanicured nails look scruffy; I love how something so easy to do can make it look like you've made that much more effort. Plus it's such a cost-effective trend so everyone can get in on it, I mean you can get Chanel nail varnish (personally I'd go for a beautiful nude shade for spring such as no.87 'Flamme Rose') for as little as 12pounds. Who can say no to that?


More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment