Friday 12 March 2010

These are a few of my (new) favourite things. II

Everyone on the internet and beyond has been banging on about it so I felt it deserved a mention. I have to admit I'm not a fan of the song as the lyrics seem a bit stupid, (definitely prefer Beyonce's 'Videophone') but the video is undoubtedly a masterpiece brimming with eccentric, hard-edged fashion. There are simply too many amazing outfits in the video to mention so you'll just have to watch for yourself below. Is it weird that it kinda made me want to try that look Gaga rocks with crosses of masking tape over my nipples? And I love Beyonce
with a fringe more than I could possibly say! Very chic.






As you probably gathered from the name of my blog, I'm all about beautiful shoes. I love heels as much as the next girl but when I see a pair of comfortable flats that can make just as much of a statement, then I'm sold. I saw these Commes des Garcons shoes featured in this month's British Vogue in black and white, and after some research I found these lovely pearly white ones that I've fallen in love with. How cute are the painted red toenails?! I'm desperate for a pair.





Commes des Garcons

For Spring/Summer I'm really excited about STATEMENT SHORTS. I saw the most beautiful floral silk pair from Marc Jacobs, the colours are amazing and vibrant, definitely a statement if ever I saw one. Dolce & Gabbana also showed some exciting florals for Spring. (In earlier blogs you can also see some decent high street florals that I found from Urban Outfitters and Topshop.)


Marc Jacobs


I've been looking for a new pair of denim short shorts as mine are becoming a bit too loveworn to get away with now. I really love this Topshop stars and stripes pair that I saw in Elle magazine's highstreet recommendations section. They don't seem to be available yet though so I guess I'll just have to wait.

Topshop

For a more subtle statement an unusual texture is also a good way to go, leather or velvet are new favourites of mine. You can find these at Alexa Chung for Madewell (see earlier blog) or Alexander Wang. I'm pretty sure the high street aren't too far behind so watch out for Topshop knockoffs if you don't have the necessary £300 for a pair of Wangs.





Alexander Wang



I really want a hat. I'm really in the mood for some kind of headpiece but hairbands look slightly silly on me with my current hairstyle (a drastic undercut a la Alice Dellal). I've been dreaming of the perfect black one, something betwixt a fedora and a trilby. I particularly loved the one atop Clemence Poesy's crown in the new issue of British Vogue.


However I don't have £230 to be spending on a hat right now so I'll keep looking. I used to have a similar one that I bought for a 5er in a vintage market so maybe I'll keep rummaging away and I'll be lucky enough to find another.

I've been searching for the perfect green nail varnish for ages now (plus St.Patrick's Day is coming up so it's the perfect excuse right?) and of course Chanel has the answer. They really do seem to be THE brand to look to for the next it-nail trend these days. I can't wait to get my hands on this beautiful jade colour, although from the looks of it I'll have to wait as it's sold out everywhere! (I'm told this 'Jade Rose' shade was all the rage on the catwalk too.)

I normally make a conscious effort to avoid big Hollywood blockbusters as they are usually unbearably predictable and never fail to disappoint. However, I made an exception for Tim Burton's latest masterpiece, Alice in Wonderland. I have to tell you now, it's amazing - sorry to ruin the surprise. He really took the original story and managed to adapt it seamlessly to create this whole new world without straying too far from, and ruining, the much-loved original, no mean feat. It was incredibly trippy, I opted for seeing it in a regular 2D cinema as opposed to 3D, I'm not sure I could have handled seeing the wise, shisha-smoking caterpillar or the creepy floating Cheshire cat in three dimensions. Mia Wasikowska (Alice) had some amazingly inventive dresses as she shrunk and grew and her iconic baby blue dress was forced to change accordingly - it felt like we were being shown a collection. Although saying that; it was Helena Bonham Carter's red queen and Johnny Depp's mad hatter who really stole the show for me, but then what else would you expect from a Tim Burton movie? So without giving too much away here's a link to the trailer (I can't put it on here, sorry). I definitely recommend you see the film for yourself.




I'm a big fan of underwear as outerwear and so I just had to share this with you. I'm so happy that cone bras are making a comeback! Not sure I'd ever be brave enough to actually wear one out but I think they're fantastic. Of course noone does them like Jean Paul Gaultier but I thought this was a lovely take on it.


Louise Goldin (picture from the April 2010 issue of Elle UK magazine)


Even though it's barely Spring/Summer, watching all of the Autumn/Winter collections recently has got me in the mood for cold weather fashion again. I'm really looking forward to wearing these next season:

Dr.Martens do UGGs! Well, not really, but pretty close. I am in love with these boots that have all the features of UGGs but in the classic, much more desirable, Dr.Martens shape. I couldn't think of anything more comfortable and I can't wait to get my hands on a pair (at £200 I may have to wait a little while..).


Another recent find that I've stumbled upon is cable knit leggings from American Apparel. My favourite items of clothing of late have been my oversized cable knit jumpers so to have that level of comfort on my legs would be unreal. I love the idea of having a dark grey or black pair just for being comfy and casual in on cold days, definitely a much nicer alternative to track pants. They also come in this lovely (very now) pastel shade, very suitable for the cold British Spring time.



More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment