Tuesday 7 September 2010

It's the Fashion Oscars!

The British Fashion Council last week announced their shortlists for this year's annual British Fashion Awards which "will recognise the most influential people in fashion today and celebrate the reputation and development of British fashion".


And the nominees are..

Designer of the Year:
Phoebe Philo for Celine
Christopher Bailey for Burberry
Erdem

My pick - this is a tough one but it absolutely has to be Phoebe Philo. Her debut collection for Celine caused a frenzy throughout the fashion community, editors and civilians alike are now clamouring to embody Philo's chic, minimalist, Celine woman. For me it was the defining collection of the season. Christopher comes a close second, but he can console himself with last year's award..

Model of the Year:
David Gandy
Rosie Huntington-Whiteley
Lara Stone

My pick - the Gandy. The man's a phenomenon. And he's the only male ever to be shortlisted for this prestigious award. All three would definitely be worthy winners though. Rosie was also nominated last year but was beat out by newcomer, then 17-year-old, Georgia May Jagger.

Best Designer Brand:
Burberry
Pringle of Scotland
Victoria Beckham
Mulberry

My pick - Burberry. Yes, they won last year. Yes, they deserve it again this year. Both the men's and women's collections were phenomenal - who doesn't want that shearling aviator jacket now?! I can't say enough good things about Burberry, it was just perfection. (Who did Victoria Beckham have to lend David to to get nominated?! I mean really. I like her stuff but 'best designer brand'?)

Best Accessories Designer:
Camilla Skovgaard
Nicholas Kirkwood
Emma Hill for Mulberry

My pick - I'm torn between my love for shoes and my love for bags! As this season seems to be the return of the 'It-bag', I'm going to have to go for Emma Hill. Hill was nominated last year and lost to cutesy jewellery designer Katie Hillier. Of course, Nicholas Kirkwood is a genius and I'd be more than happy to see him win too.

Best Menswear Designer:
Christopher Bailey for Burberry
Margaret Howell
E. Tautz
Paul Smith

My pick - Burberry hands down. Although I was surprised by how much I liked Paul Smith last season.

Ready-to-wear Emerging Talent:
Mary Katrantzou
Michael van der Ham
Meadham Kirchhoff

My pick - longtime favourite, Meadham Kirchhoff.

Accessories Emerging Talent:
Charlotte Olympia
Jessica McCormack
Husam el Odeh

My pick - Charlotte Olympia is one of my absolute favourite shoe designers. Plus the woman has undeniable style.

Isabella Blow Award for Fashion Creator:
Nick Knight
Rankin
Nicola Formichetti

My pick - Isabella Blow is one of my style icons so for me this award is probably the most important category of all, for me it is about inspiring others and pushing the boundaries. Nick Knight's interactive residency at Somerset House, SHOWstudio, caused a big stir in the fashion community and allowed the public the chance to see the magical world of high fashion photography as art, and for that I think he deserves this award.

The winners will be announced at the British Fashion Awards ceremony on December 7th.

More soon.
Follow the twitter for by-the-minute updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment